Tuesday, September 24, 2013

City Eclogue Part 1

The City of Eclogue has been causing me some strife. I tried re-reading some of the poems but I still can't make any sense out of them. I tried pausing at different places and reading with a different rhythm but it didn't help any. I don't know if it's my non-ability to read between the lines, or if other people were having the same problem, but these are probably some of the most confusing poems I've ever seen.

One of the poems I did somewhat understand was Seqouia Sempervirens, the first line says "We are about what, a squirrel's size is to a tree, to this tree." I think this is comparing a squirrel to a tree like we are to the world. My interpretation is that he's trying to tell us that we aren't nearly as important on the greater scale of things. Basically, he's telling us that we shouldn't think the world revolves around us because we're not nearly as important as we believe ourselves to be.

Another line that I kind of understood is on page 56 where it says "he woke in a fight for his life in that he went at the alarm clock as if to kill." It made me think of this morning when I actually fell out of bed when my alarm clock went off. I had been reaching for it with one hand and protecting my face with the other. I had been having a bad dream at the time, so I suppose it was kind of like my fear of something in my subconscious was being passed on to something in the waking world.

I'm really hoping to get a better grasp in the second part of City of Eclogue, and I'm sort of looking forward to reading it in a backwards way.

No comments:

Post a Comment